Unity One Credit Union

Credit union informs: Fort Worth's 2013 List of Endangered Places

Wed, May 15, 2013 @ 05:32 PM / by Erayne Hill

Much of a city's history is told by its properties, and Fort Worth is no different. Historic Fort Worth, local partner of the National Trust for Historic Preservation just released its list of five places that, according to the FW Business Press, are "threatened by deterioration, neglect, vandalism, encroaching development or lack of financial resources."

History buffs, especially Fort Worth history buffs, this is for you.

The Garvey-Viehl-Kelley House (located at 769 Samuels Ave, built 1884-1890): Built for grocery store owner and real estate dealer William B. Garvey and his wife Lucy, this Queen Anne residence fell on hard times. Designated a historic landmark in 1993, the home (and neighborhood) could have a bright future with a new designation as a lakefront property. The home is for sale and could make a great bed and breakfast, corporate retreat and/or wedding venue, according to Historic Fort Worth.Samuels Avenue

Fort Worth Community Arts Center and Scott Theater (located at 1300 Gendy St., built in 1954): Designed by Austrian graphic designer Herbert Bayer, the original FW Art Center was the first location for the Modern Art Museum. Currently owned by the City of FW, the center's recent parking fee has threatened the plans of the arts groups that count on public support.

Ben Hogan's Childhood Home (located at 1316 East Allen Ave., built in 1927): Golf legend Ben Hogan lived in this modest home. It has been vacant for four years and has fallen on hard times with a bleak future. The home's owners would like to restore it because of its historical significance and Hogan's golf accomplishments.

Old Renfro's Drug Store (located at 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., built in 1929): Owned by Texas Health Resources - Harris Methodist Hospital, this one-story, commercial building is one of the last so-called "wedding cake" buildings remaining in the area.

The Tanglewood Neighborhood (located roughly between Bellaire Dr. W & Hulen Street, built c. 1950-60): Established in 1954 by the Cass Overton Edwards family (Cassco Land Company), the neighborhood of Tanglewood was established with the stipulation that all houses be either brick or stone and have at least a two-car garage. Dominated by ranch style homes, Tanglewood's architectural integrity is at risk, according to Historic FW. Oversized additions and teardowns are very common. There are concerns that the original homes will eventually look out of place.

Topics: Fort Worth, Unity One Credit Union

Erayne Hill

Written by Erayne Hill

Subscribe to Email Updates

Lists by Topic

see all

Posts by Topic

see all

Recent Posts